I was busy planning and arranging visitation schedule tried my best to fulfill the request by location offices. With all the tight schedule, spending a weekend in Cebu seems to be the most optimized contrive in between Philippines and Hong Kong. Therefore, since I will be having a weekend in Cebu, I was surfing the web for information about Cebu to find out this place is in fact a diving heaven. The more I browsed the web about Cebu’s diving, the more dilemma I was. I was contemplating among the nearby Mactan, the Thresher Shark’s paradise Malapascua or marine sanctuaries Moalboal.

I dropped Mactan because there are too many negative feedback from the material I read. It will only be good if you do Hilutung or Nalusuan island. These place they need more people to go else they will making loss if I’m the only diver. As for Malapascua, it seems to be a great place to dive where you will come across Thresher Sharks and Manta Ray like almost certain. Too bad, it was way too far for my short schedule and of course, too expensive to travel alone.

So, my final decision is Moalboal. When I tried to search for transportation information, there’s only handful of them. The easiest way is to hired a cab directly send you to the destination. However, conveniences always come with a price to pay. If you want hassle free, I would suggest you get your cab from the airport. They have standard price for it. PHP 2,800 for one way or Round Trip for PHP 5,000. I tried to ask the taxi I took around Mactan island, they were asking for PHP 3,500 one way. Frankly speaking, if you have 3 – 4 person with plenty of luggages or dive gears, this will be a very good choice of transporting.

I’m on budget and alone, therefore I was looking up and down for cheaper solution and what I did was taking the Philipino’s way. I took taxi from my hotel in Mactan to Southern Terminal ‘Citylink’ in Cebu City. From there, I squeezed myself into the v-hire (an 18 seater van) which will channel between Cebu City and Moalboal.

The red circles showing the destination of each v-hire van. (Picture is a bit dark cos I’m trying not to look like foreigner. Therefore, I only sneakingly took this with my phone)

I was lucky to be seated in front of the van with a pinay in between me and the driver. The rest have to constrict into 3 rows making 4 persons constrained arm to arm in a row. Well, what you can expect something PHP 100 for a distance of 90km? Perhaps you can pay PHP 200 acquiring spaces for 2 all by yourself.  The total journey took around 2 hours 15 mins. There will be 30 mins of winding road experience starting from Carcar City (marked as red in the picture below). There are some houses along the way that will keep you busy. Oh ya… please remember, the v-hire van will only depart once the van is fully occupied. For my case, when I reached the terminal, one van just left and I have to wait in the following van for about 20 mins before it’s filled. I’m happy with the this service although same claim it is dangerous because the v-hire driver drive like F1 but mine was fine. I do feel safe.

My colleague told me they operate from 5am till 7pm. I didn’t verify this so please do not trust this 100% ya. Also, please remember not to give anyone your money at the station. Some might claim they are the agent and will ran off once you gave it to them. There will be someone collecting the fee from you in the van before it departs.

This will be the journey from Cebu City to Moalboal

Before reaching Moalboal, I saw this (picture below). How is it possible that Coke has a factory outlet in such a place? more over, what they going to sell in Coke factory outlet? expired Coke?

How could this be real? Selling expiry Coke?

After I got down from the v-hire van, I negotiated PHP 20 for a motorbike to send me to Marina Vallage 4km from the main road. Not too sure if this is too expensive. My transportation exploration was a safe one and here I am, looking at the sea at Moalboal. I was inform that there is another way to channel between this 2 places which is the public buses. I was told it is cheaper and just slightly slower than the v-hire. Well, you need to try this out and let me know because I’m not going for this option.

Moalboal at 6pm. Don’t expect some nice white sandy beaches.

10 Responses

1. KY

hahaha cocacola factory outlet? LOL

August 9, 2010 at 10:05 am
  2. ShaolinTiger

Maybe selling coke collectibles and special edition bottles/cans.

August 9, 2010 at 12:55 pm
  3. Simon Seow

woah, your job so much traveling.

August 10, 2010 at 7:49 am
  4. kimberlycun

walan i dont think i can take this sit in van with sweaty ppl!!!!!

August 10, 2010 at 10:26 am
  5. Pet

Ah…tat day i msn u, u in cebu huh? But I think on the way back to m’sia dee… :-)

August 11, 2010 at 3:20 pm
  6. Myhorng

KY, Funny right?

Shaolintiger, perhaps.. but at this kind of place?

Simon, yes sometimes.

Kim, I can’t also but when u need to be on kiam.com, need to.

Pet, yeah, but not coming back, heading to HK n China instead.

August 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm
  7. wilvin

ABOUT V-hires
    1. it is much cheaper to ride with a bus and much much muuuch safer!!!

2. the vhire is good for MAXIMUM 15 people, while vhire drivers try to fit 19 into it.

3.–> not only is that dangerous, to be in THAT car with soo many people. the car is too jammed and overcrowded, the driver can easily lose control of it,

4. but it also gives a special discomfort, you can barely move, your knees are shoved into the seat in front of you (since seats are not far apart, i can not believe that they expect us to sit in there, with no legroom)
    –>the passangers next to you, almost sit on your lap

5. dangerous: as i mentioned before, too dangerous to ride with so many people. but also that there are no headrests for the passangers. the driver and the lucky people who are able to sit in front do have HEADRESTS and also BELTS. but for other passangers there is no safety available

6. DELAY: i have noticed that v-hire drivers usually write a time down what time the v-hire is leaving, but i dont think we ever left on time, because they still waited for more passangers to come, even if we left 1 hour later then we were supposed to (which made us wait all in all 1h 45mins) –> by that time i could have been home already, riding a bus
    sometimes drivers are delayed because they like to chat with the other drivers or peopl around at the terminal…or even better, they still like to eat

7. DRIVER RIVALTY: i have noticed so far, that the vhire drivers want to compete with everyone on the road, especially other vhire drivers or SUV drivers. Yes, I do want to make it quick to the final destination. BUT NO, I DO NOT WANT TO DIE. i want to be safe… those drivers make it mostly a race with other drivers. We overtake while another car is even overtaking. we overtake while there is big huge truck coming right at us.

8. SELFISHNES OF VHIRE DRIVERS: if you are unfortuante and have to sit in the back, you could possibly suffocate. not only because you are squeezed in that very tiny room of vhire, but too, because vhire drivers like to turn of or lower down the aircon, so that they can save on money for the gasoline.

9. skills of drivers: they do want to show what they can, but we are not in a movie like “FAST AND THE FURIOUS”, but vhire drivers ride like once or twice in a day, for about 30mins-2/3hours depending on where they go, but therefor they don’t take it seriously, its like easy life. once i came across a driver, who was ever drunk or was suffering from a hangover. and another time i was in a vhire, where the driver kept falling asleep, and we kept rolling to the other side of the road…

August 9, 2011 at 6:10 am
  8. lennart

omg, dont take the vhires at citylink. when i road last time with my barkada, we had to wait over an hour to start, and its really not comfortable to be “smushed” in there. they are 19 people in a vehicle that is usually just good for at most 10 people in the US. i am not sure if those are even permitted to the road. and i must agree with the writer before me, there are a lot of rivalty of vhire drivers, which we ended up almost having an accident, actually a few times. busses are much more comfortable and mostly cheaper, and definately much safer.

but i have heard there should be a new transportation provided in front of cebu south-bus terminal, which I do not have any details yet from.

September 8, 2011 at 3:33 am
    • Myhorng

I think I must agree with you on the uncomfortable part of been squeezed like a sardines in the can. I was lucky to be in front when going but not so lucky when coming back to cebu town.

October 12, 2011 at 7:47 am

Continuing the Discussion

1. Marine Sanctuary, Moalboal Philippines – One – Myhorng says it all

[...] during a business trip and Moalboal was where I utilized this golden opportunity.  I explained how to get to Moalboal from Cebu city and now I would like to share my [...]

October 14, 201012:06 am

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.